The Team at Yorkshire Dales Distillery would like to introduce you to our newest recruit – local lass (Redcar), Jen started life as a professional violin and trumpet player with The Band of His Majesty’s Royal Marines back in 1999 performing throughout the UK and Internationally. She quickly moved on to being the Safety, Health and Environment Advisor with the Royal Marines Band Scotland up in Rosyth.
August 2023 UK Spirits Duty Increase; what’s in the price of a bottle?
The airwaves have been somewhat quiet of late on the increase in Alcohol Duty which will come into force next week on Tuesday 1st August 2023. With gin, vodka, whisky and rum, Spirits Duty is our concern and this has remained at £28.74 per litre of pure alcohol since before Yorkshire Dales Distillery starting trading in 2017. In line with inflation, this will go up to £31.64.
What does this mean for a typical bottle? In the UK, the standard currency is a 700ml or 70cl bottle on which you were paying £8.05 in Spirits Duty on a product at 40% abv. This will go up to £8.86! Once you add the associated VAT in, this in an increase from £9.66 to £10.63 tax paid directly to the Treasury on every single bottle.Read More
Happy Yorkshire Day!
Did you know?
The date of Yorkshire Day alludes to the Battle of Minden, and also the anniversary of the emancipation of slaves in the British Empire in 1834, for which a Yorkshire MP, William Wilberforce, campaigned!
With apologies for the deluge of metaphors.
‘We gotta get outta this place’ I hear them cry. “But how?” you say. ‘With a little help from our friends’…obvs…’if it’s the last thing we ever do’.
But seriously, we are standing at a significant crossroads, it actually feels like a wickedly complicated motorway junction, and there is no clear way ahead. There are significant disadvantages to whichever path we choose. Read More
I am fortunate.
On the day on which we had to turn our very much full time Distillery into a less than part time operation I was able to step straight out of one uniform and into another.
Having spent the last 3 years throwing our hearts and souls into building our craft business, it’s more than possible that it will survive.
Lee and the Sweet Life Blog:
I have a distant memory of going “clubbing” with my friends. Is it still called that?
My clubbing nights consisted of short skirts, low tops, no coats in mid December, sparkly blue eye shadow and cheap alcohol that felt like it was taking the skin off my oesophagus as it meandered its way down to my stomach and through my bloodstream.
Of course this was way before Lee & The Sweet Life.
The start of a New Year is always the best time to review and re-evaluate; it is always a much quieter time for the brewers and distillers and we are certainly busy getting all of our maintenance and planning completed ahead of what we expect to be another busy year.Read More
It looks like June is going to be another busy month for the growing team at Yorkshire Dales Distillery. We have just taken on Sue, our Sales Administrator, and she is already busy beavering away in support of Sophie and Scott our Account Managers. Kael has been working hard to make sure that all of our spirits get out of the Distillery on time and we are looking forward to Luke joining us as our first apprentice.
We have 2 big events this month; the Dales Festival of Food and Drink in Leyburn, just a few days away, and the Nafferton Beer, Gin and Cider Festival at the end of the month. Further details are available below together with some superb smaller happenings so if you’ve managed to recover from the blast of sunshine in May and World Gin Day then come and join us.
- A Gin Dinner at the Black Horse Inn, Kirkby Fleetham on Thursday 14th June.
- Ladies Evening of Retail Therapy at Ravensworth Nurseries on Friday 15th June in aid of MacMillan Cancer Support.
- The Dales Festival of Food and Drink, Leyburn on Saturday 16th and Sunday 17th June.
- Gin Afternoon Tea at the Talbot Hotel, Malton on Saturday 23rd June.
- The Beer, Gin and Cider Festival 2018 at Nafferton Sports and Recreation Club on Saturday 30th June.
Having survived the worst that the Beast from the East could throw at us, April is shaping up to be a busy month at the Distillery.
- Today we are at the Little Gin and More Festival at the Town Hall in Northallerton which is always a great way to spend a relaxed afternoon or evening, or both, with friends.
- Thursday 29th March – Latitude Wines GINternational Experience at Headrow House in Leeds.
- Friday 6th April – Gin Ahoy, York – some tickets are still available!
- Saturday 7th April – Taste our range of spirits and discuss the best way of serving them at the Albion Farm Shop, Saddleworth.
- Saturday 21st April – Meet the Distiller at Newsham Village Hall.
- Friday 27th to Sunday 29th April – Join us and some other great producers for tastings and signature serves at The Talbot Hotel, Malton for the Malton Gin Festival.
Don’t forget that the Tour de Yorkshire is being staged Thursday 3rd to Sunday 6th May; we’ll be in Richmond Market Place all day on the Saturday and Sunday and down at Crakehall all day on the Saturday. Mix with freedom.